About CANbus Academy
CANbus Academy is dedicated to providing our clients with a wide array of vehicle networks products & services. Our offerings include training, consulting and tools.
Our mission is simple: we help engineering organizations accelerate their knowledge in vehicle networks & embedded systems.
We offer both project consulting and training classes and workshops for engineers and technicians.
CANbus Academy’s headquarters office located at 701 Brazos St. 16 floor, Austin, TX, USA.
Office suites at the Omni Hotel in downtown Austin, TX, USA
Spacious conference rooms to hold training events.
View from our office at the 16th floor.
Igor S. Ramos, CANbus Academy Founder & Chief Engineer
About Igor Ramos, CANbus Academy Owner
Mr. Ramos has over 10 years of experience in New Product Introduction. Prior to founding CANbus Academy, he was the Technical Leader for Caterpillar’s Asphalt Paver product line. Additionally for 9 years, Igor held a variety of design roles, including software architect for Caterpillar’s hybrid excavator and research & development engineer. Mr. Ramos is a disruptive thinker with several published patents.
Igor holds a Management degree from the Missouri University and a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Illinois. Igor is a Certified Six Sigma Black Belt by the American Society for Quality.
Electrical Tech Lead for Caterpillar’s Tier4f Asphalt Pavers & Screeds. Designed machine electrical system and led design team.
Architected Battery Management System software and component integration on Prototype Hybrid excavator
Authored production software for Caterpillar’s mining trucks and excavators.
Integrated CAN-based electric A/C compressor in Caterpillar D7e bulldozer.
Rapid prototyping of leading-edge technologies years before reaching production.
Field-follow fleet of trucks with the experimental MorElectric electrical system. DOE sponsored project.
These are some experiences with CAN bus Network:
- Authored CAN specifications document for supplier
- Authored requirements for supplier to port device 11bit to 29 bit and SAEJ1939 compliant.
- Created step-by-step guide on minimum compliance to SAE J1939.
- Designed & implemented vehicle network topology compromised of over 5 CAN networks and 25 CAN nodes
- Troubleshoot & fix on-highway truck with experimental high-voltage system with intermittent CAN issues
- Created busload estimation calculator to help designers size up message transmission rates
- Experience troubleshooting based on analog signal (eye-chart) and protocol analyzer
- Supported CAN bus software library written in Assembly for 8-bit microcontroller
- Wrote CCP (CAN Calibration Protocol) support for 8bit processor & Matlab generated embedded code
- Designed CAN to SPI gateway module. Designed circuit schematic, circuit board layout and wrote the firmware in C.
- Designed a dual CAN Gateway module that off-loaded the traffic in the main vehicle CANbus
- Designed ECUs (CAN nodes) with magnetic and optical coupling
- Evaluated bit error rate in CAN bus running on 1Mbit
- Evaluate theoretical bit error rate of CAN physical layer running at 10Mbits